Ancestor from Schäßburg

Um Beiträge zu verfassen, müssen Sie sich kostenlos registrieren bzw. einloggen.

wanderlust
schrieb am 17.09.2010, 20:19 Uhr
Good evening.

First of all, my apologies for not writing this message in German. I have a weak grasp of the language when it comes to speaking or writing, though I understand it fairly well. Hopefully spending some more time in Germany will do the trick.

I'm a 23 year old Law graduate living in Cluj-Napoca/Klausenburg, Romania. It's very likely that I will leave the country in the next six months, and before doing that I've tried finding out more about my roots.

Through the kindness of the Evangelical parish in Schäßburg, I've learned that my ancestor who lived there in the mid-late 19th century (Johann Keller) was a hat maker, as were his father and grandfather. According to some online sources, they made up one of the well-known hat maker families of Schäßburg. Johann's son Julius, my great-great-grandfather, opened a firm in Budapest around the turn of the last century and that, along with two World Wars, is where the tie with the rest of the Keller family was severed. What I haven't been able to find out, however, is where in Germany they came from originally. I've been to Bayern and Ba-Wü several times and I wouldn't mind living there one day, but I'd like to know which of the two regions is more closely tied to my family.

As far as you know, is there any resource or database, Interned-based or otherwise, that could point me in the right direction? I travel to Germany every once in a blue moon and I could make it a goal to visit any library or museum you recommend - but I simply don't know where to look. I'd try to contact some of my distant relatives still living in Schäßburg, but it seems they have all left the city.

Regards from chilly Klausenburg,
Mihai Keller

Um Beiträge zu verfassen, müssen Sie sich kostenlos registrieren bzw. einloggen.